Saturday, July 4, 2015

Campground Woes

     

     The second day of camping began with a child needing to go potty.  Of course it did.  After getting everyone up and fed we made our way to the campground showers. 

     I must say that I have seen a lot of less than perfect camp facilities but I had never encountered one this awful.  We had been in there the night before to use the toilets prior to bed but in the dark I did not see what I could see in the daylight.  By far the worst campground shower and toilet facilities I had ever seen.  There was actually a large smear of bodily waste on the wall in several places and the spider webs were cascading down every corner of the shower stalls. You could obviously see the walls had not been cleaned in some time as the black mildew was growing in every crevice available and there were bug carcasses piled up everywhere. The spiders were king in this dump and their webs were in every corner, all over the ceiling and skylight and even under one of the toilets.  It was unbelievable that they charged 20 dollars a night just for a basic site and they let the facilities go so unclean.  I brought the issue up with the Rangers office later that day and they basically said they didn't believe me.  Just based on that experience and interaction I don't think we will return.  The Texas parks campground I stayed at a month earlier was half the price and 3 time as clean.

     We spent a good portion of our morning hanging in the hammocks and my daughter and I took turns reading from genesis.  It was a great moment and after we finished reading both kids were asking questions and we talked about the verses.  I set up a makeshift rope swing and a strap for balancing on and let them play for a while as the temperature was warming up. After lunch we drove down to the marina where they have a swimming area. The kids and I enjoyed the water and they played in the playground area for awhile. 

     Back at camp it was an evening much like the last, diner and just hanging out with each other, except at the end of the night I gathered everything up so what could take off in the morning with out much to do.  I setup the hammocks in the bus and then we made a quick run up to the disgusting shower facilities and attempted to get cleaned up.  It was just as it was earlier with not a single thing attempted to be cleaned other than maybe someone sprayed the floor. We made it quick and went back to the comfort of our bus. The kids piled in to there hammocks and were asleep in no time at all. I quickly fallowed. 



No comments:

Post a Comment