Saturday, August 8, 2015

Rude Electrical



     Sunday night two weeks ago as we were settling down to get some rest I turned on the ignition to run some of the interior lights.  To my pleasant surprise the alarm buzzer that signals if one of the emergency hatches or doors is open was going off.  I had this issue about a week earlier and it just took a quick adjustment to the sensor on the roof hatch and it stopped.  This time however it simply wouldn't stop.  In typical I can fix it style I grabbed a couple tools headed to the electrical access panel and dug in.  I found the component and the connecting lines and determined which one of the wires was powering it.  I quickly disconnected it to stop the annoying sound ringing throughout the camping area around us ( it was after 9 pm ) and then had a new problem.  There was no longer any power to the bus at all.  Now this simply baffled me as to why anyone would run the electrical in this kind of method but it was too dark to continue working on it.  I decided to work on it in the morning and we used our flashlights to get through the evening.

     I got to the issue as soon as we finished breakfast knowing that the temperature was going to get hotter quickly.  Now that I could see I could tell that they had run the power loop from the ignition to this buzzer and then spliced off from it to the main power solenoid.  So to get thing straitened out I would need to redirect the wiring which didn't look like it would be all that bad.  I removed the buzzer completely and moved the extra wiring from it out of the way and then used a splice connector I had in the tool box to run the ignition switch power to the solenoid.  We had power, I checked all the systems and fuses just to be sure and it was good.  It was a pretty simple fix but it really reinforces my desire to go through and rework and clean up the electrical systems on this bus.

     With that taken care of it was time to hit the water.



No comments:

Post a Comment