Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Tuning in


      I was still at the shop waiting for the tech to change out the thermostat and had just finished the getting the front door to operate again so I immediately turned my attention to the radio project.  I was in need of some wire and connectors so I made quick walk to the parts department since I was so conveniently located and got what I was gonna need.

     The hole in the dash for the radio needed a little refinement so I got that cleaned up first and then focused on securing the deck in the mounting piece.  I was able to use some premarked spots in the mount to drill 4 holes that lined up perfect with the deck and I screwed it together.  With everything now lined up I connected wire to the leads from the radio connection plug so that I could wire the power and ground.  I installed the deck and mount in the dash and went out to the access panel to wire it in.  I started pulling the wire through from the dash to the fuse panel and examined where I was going to mount the ground and again had the thought, WHY?!?!  Why in the world are there so much wiring in here?

     I saw one guys post on the skoolie forum where he pulled all the extra wiring out of his bus project and it was a massive pile of wire.  Thousands of feet of extra wire it seemed.

     I will get this mess cleaned up eventually but for now I just need to get power to the radio.  I used a ground that was being used by a few other lines and ran my power over above the chaos and down to the fuse block.  Made my connections and tucked the mess back in for another day.

     Now that I had power to the radio I started installing the speakers in the box. as soon as the first speaker was mounted I ran the wire and connected it to the radio.

Oh, heck yeah man, we got sound!!!

     With the local country station tuned in I continued getting the rest of the speakers mounted and hooked up.  The service tech had showed up just about the time I started on the second speaker so I kept it turned down while he worked. I finished up and then cleaned up the tools and parts I had all over the bus.

     I stepped out to see how the tech was doing and he was just finishing up.  In a few minutes I would get to hit the road and turn it up!  Once I was clear to go I hit the road.

     Just like a teen I connected my mobile device scrolled to my favorite playlist and let the music fly. with just the deck power it has a fair bit of volume and the 8" speakers had a really good balance of bass. I'm quite pleased. The kids will love it and the next few road trips will be full of good sounds.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment