Sunday, September 6, 2015

Prep for the last summer trip.



     Summer's end is fast approaching and the kids will be back in school too soon.  Its not that I have anything against school in general it just means that camping and getting away from the metroplex will now be limited.

     With only one weekend left to go camping there were a few things to finish getting ready.


Equip Travel Hammock, Blue     First we needed to replace the hammocks that were previously taken.  So we looked around town for some lightweight, breathable and reasonably priced hammocks. Unfortunately as hammocks have been growing in popularity and the quality brands have come to the forefront of the market the materials have been changing and so has the feel.  I have always preferred the feel of polyester over nylon and most of the companies are now using what they call nylon silk to make there hammocks.  While they definitely have a nice appearance I don't think they breathe as well and and feel that great.  In need of an alternative and being a crafty kinda guy I ran down to the fabric store and bought some polyester taffeta lining material.  It comes 60" wide which is perfect for a single hammock and the edges wont fray.  Then I picked up some climbing runners for each end and with a quick knot each of us had a new hammock.



    I picked up an extra hammock from Walmart, the Equip travel hammock, that is a heavier nylon but it has a smooth feel and would be a good spare just in case.


     I couldn't help getting one more while I was looking at Academy Sports.  It was a double and currently I don't have access to wider fabric.  I like to have a larger hammock for napping in personally and it's obviously more comfortable when sharing.  It is made by Byer of Maine and called the Traveller double hammock XXL.  It is also a really good price comparatively.


Byer of Maine, XXL 
     As a final measure to add to the over all comfort until the interior of the bus conversion is completed I found a good deal on these Coleman Converta cots so I ordered two.

Coleman Converta Cot
 

   With the little solar panel incident I decided to make a way to charge the auxiliary battery off the buses charging system so that we could still use it as needed.  It was a simple task really, all I had to do was build an extension from the main power supply and add a breaker. When I want the bus power to charge the auxilary battery I just have to connect the line and flip the breaker.

     One other thing that I have wanted to do was get better lighting and I have been looking around for LED replacements for the interior cab lights in the bus with out much luck.  While we were shopping for a few groceries I found just what I wanted at Walmart in the automotive section.  I didn't even think to look there. They are so much brighter and draw much less power.  I will be converting all the lighting over to LED lights eventually.  There much better and last longer too.
2 Pcs White BA15S 1156 18 5050 SMD LED Tail Brake Light Bulb Lamp for Vehicles



No comments:

Post a Comment